Sleep Apnea Treatment
Sleep Apnea Treatments in Huntersville, NC
Dr. Merrill offers effective alternatives to sleep apnea relief.
Discover if you suffer from sleep apnea and how EASY it is to control!
The CPAP machine has been the traditional method used for treating sleep apnea, but many find this treatment disruptive with its cumbersome oxygen mask.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine designated dental oral sleep appliances as the #1 nonsurgical alternative for those who are CPAP intolerant.
Dr. Merrill recently completed training with the doctors of the Carolinas HealthCare System in using new CPAP alternatives such as oral sleep appliances to treat sleep apnea effectively. A special sonar machine called a pharyngometer is used to measure the oropharyngeal airway. It is measured with and without your custom-designed oral appliance to help customize the device to correctly and comfortably open your airway.
Sleep Apnea is linked to sudden cardiac death, which is responsible for
450,000 Deaths per Year!
Don’t Ignore the Snore!
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does snoring complicate your relationships?
- Do you ever fall asleep at traffic lights, only to be awakened by the honking cars behind you?
- Are you having difficulty losing weight?
- Are you waking up with headaches or a dry mouth and throat?
These questions – and many other signs – will help to identify if you have sleep apnea.
Our dentists are specially trained to help improve your quality of life with effective sleep apnea treatments in Huntersville, NC.
Download our FREE eBook to find out how!
Why Choose NorthStar Dentistry for Adults
See why we are your preferred choice for a dentist in Huntersville, NC.
5 Steps in Understanding the Anatomy of a Sleep Apnea Episode
- Your brain responds by briefly disturbing your sleep enough to kick start breathing — which often resumes with a gasp or a choking sound.
- As airflow stops during a sleep apnea episode, the oxygen level in your blood drops.
- If you have obstructive sleep apnea, you probably won’t remember these awakenings. Most of the time, you’ll stir just enough to tighten your throat muscles and open your windpipe.
- In central sleep apnea, you may be conscious of your awakenings.
- This can occur hundreds of times each night!
The resulting LACK OF OXYGEN can heighten your risk of stroke, cardiovascular disease, and other heart conditions.
On top of this, it can also accelerate the aging process, compromise your safety, health and overall quality of life.
Take the Epworth Sleepiness Scale Test to assess your risk!